. Remember That Time Kamala Harris’s Dad Publicly Rebuked Her For Joking About Smoking Pot? - News Times

Remember That Time Kamala Harris’s Dad Publicly Rebuked Her For Joking About Smoking Pot?

By News Here - 12:07

Kamala Harris standing in front of a row of US flags

AP Photo/Kayla Wolf

Remember that time Vice President and presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Kamala Harris’s dad publicly rebuked her for joking about smoking pot?

Back in 2019, during her first presidential campaign, Harris spoke about her past use of marijuana. In an interview with Charlamange tha God, Harris was asked if she “ever smoked.”

“I have. And I inhaled. I did inhale,” she replied, referencing former President Bill Clinton’s claim that while he smoked marijuana, he never inhaled the smoke.

“Look, I joke about it, I have joked about it. Half my family is from Jamaica, are you kidding me?” she added while arguing in favor of marijuana legalization.

Her father, Donald J. Harris (yes, really), who is of Jamaican descent, was so unimpressed by the answer that he felt the need to issue a statement in response.

“My dear departed grandmothers (whose extraordinary legacy I described in a recent essay on this website), as well as my deceased parents, must be turning in their grave right now to see their family’s name, reputation and proud Jamaican identity being connected, in any way, jokingly or not with the fraudulent stereotype of a pot-smoking joy seeker and in the pursuit of identity politics,” wrote the elder Harris. “Speaking for myself and my immediate Jamaican family, we wish to categorically dissociate ourselves from this travesty.”

Harris has also been criticized by members of her own party for “aggressively prosecuting” marijuana crimes as San Francisco’s district attorney and California’s attorney general. As D.A., Harris oversaw the conviction of more than 1,900 people for such crimes — more than her predecessor.

The post Remember That Time Kamala Harris’s Dad Publicly Rebuked Her For Joking About Smoking Pot? first appeared on Mediaite.

from Mediaite https://ift.tt/7dTAr16

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments