. Sunny Hostin Brutally Roasts ‘Tokenism’ Behind Nikki Haley’s ‘I Have Black Friends’ Comment: ‘It’s Insulting!’ - News Times

Sunny Hostin Brutally Roasts ‘Tokenism’ Behind Nikki Haley’s ‘I Have Black Friends’ Comment: ‘It’s Insulting!’

By News Here - 11:07

The View’s Sunny Hostin delivered a “public service announcement” to Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley on Friday’s show: “Do not say, ‘I have Black friends.’ Ever.”

The co-hosts discussed Haley’s attempt to clean up her Civil War “slavery” gaffe during a CNN town hall Thursday night.

In the clip they played, Haley said, “I should have said slavery right off the bat. If you grow up in South Carolina, literally, in second and third grade you learn about slavery. You grow up and you have, you know, I had Black friends growing up. It is a very talked-about thing.”

Ana Navarro immediately mocked Haley’s statement: “Some of my best friends are Black.”

“That never works!” declared Joy Behar.

“And that applies to every minority group. People do it with the LGBTQ community. Fill in the blank. With Jewish people, everyone, ” Sara Haines added.

“It’s tokenism to the extreme, and the fact that you are trying to convince me that you have Black friends just tells me you don’t,” Hostin said, continuing:

HOSTIN: It’s insulting. She also said during this that, although she is the daughter of Indian immigrants, she doesn’t really feel any kind of race. I was troubled by that because the Indian culture is a beautiful culture. It’s an inclusive culture. It’s a strong culture. It’s an old culture.

BEHAR: Can you feel the culture without the race?

SUNNY: Well, yes, of course you can. For her to say she doesn’t identify with that at all was troubling to me.

BEHAR: She changed her name.

NAVARRO: When she made that initial comment about the Civil War and not being able to say “slavery,” which is not a hard question, right? If you get asked, “What’s the cause for the Civil War,” it is not a hard question. It’s not a trick question. The answer is, “slavery, slavery, slavery!”

Navarro continued, “I don’t think what’s happening in the Republican party with Nikki Haley, with Ron DeSantis is a gaffe, is a verbal gaffe. I think it’s a strategic decision not to antagonize racists who are part of the base.”

Watch the clip above via The View on ABC.

The post Sunny Hostin Brutally Roasts ‘Tokenism’ Behind Nikki Haley’s ‘I Have Black Friends’ Comment: ‘It’s Insulting!’ first appeared on Mediaite.

from Mediaite https://ift.tt/jcCyg6n

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments