. ‘No, That’s Actually Not True’: Harris Faulkner Presses Nikki Haley Over Slavery Gaffe Damaging Her Campaign - News Times

‘No, That’s Actually Not True’: Harris Faulkner Presses Nikki Haley Over Slavery Gaffe Damaging Her Campaign

By News Here - 11:08

Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner pressed Nikki Haley over her civil war comments regarding slavery after the former South Carolina claimed only the media cares about her remarks.

During a Wednesday morning interview on The Faulkner Focus, Faulkner noted that Haley’s refusal to talk about slavery when asked about the cause of the civil war has given her Republican opponents “fresh ammunition” to attack her and asked what has she “learned” since the gaffe.

Haley countered that the only ones that have talked about this issue is the media while noting that she tore down the Confederate flag from the state capital following the 2015 Charleston Church shooting.

HALEY: I’ll remind you that I was the southern governor that brought down the Confederate flag after we had a horrific shooting of nine African-Americans that were killed in a church. But, Harris, really, the media is the only one that has talked about this issue.

FAULKNER: No, that’s actually not true.

HALEY: Not one person on the ground in Iowa. Not one person on the ground in New Hampshire or Iowa are talking about it. I’ve done multiple town halls. We have done 150 town halls. I answer every question from Republicans, from Democrats or independents, and I’m happy to talk about this. We have a deep history in South Carolina when it comes to what we’ve dealt with, with slavery, when it comes to the fact that I had to deal with a shooting by, you know, an unarmed Black man who was shot seven times in the back with a from a dirty cop, We passed the first body camera bill in the country. We brought down the Confederate flag. We didn’t have riots. We had vigils. We didn’t have protests. We had prayer. And South Carolina got through what was a very heartbreaking and controversial time, not by demonizing each other, but by moving together and bringing out the best in people to go forward.

FAULKNER: And all of those are bright points. And all of those might have been things that you said at that moment. But when asked on a re-ask by and look, others have even said that was a Democratic plant who was in in that town hall, I don’t know. I wasn’t there. But others have said that. You have said that, in fact, whatever it’s a question put to you. And on a re-ask, “what would you have me say about slavery” was your answer. Clearly, you have plenty to say about slavery. I mean, the Civil War, April 12th, 1861, started in your state at Fort Sumter. I would imagine you would have a lot to say about it. A former HUD deputy secretary under President Trump, someone who’s not working in the media currently, but often a guess. Shermichael Singleton has said this about your comments on slavery in the Civil War. Quote, She should have been able to answer the blunt question and move on. She had a chance to be competitive even though she was always likely to lose the nomination. However, that’s over. Now she’s toast. Now, I do want to say he does appear on radio. I understand he might even have a radio show. I want my team to assure me up on that. But in the meantime, what do you say?

The former South Carolina governor said that she’s “moving on” from the controversy and that her record on regarding Southern history stands for itself.

“I will tell you that people in South Carolina know me. And it’s amazing how you’re going to take one question out of 150 where I said immediately, yes, I should have said slavery. That’s a given, 150 town halls I’ve done here. And so one question. I should have said slavery. I didn’t do it. I immediately the very next day came out and said I was wrong. I’ll do that. We’re moving on,” she concluded.

Watch the clip above via Fox News.

The post ‘No, That’s Actually Not True’: Harris Faulkner Presses Nikki Haley Over Slavery Gaffe Damaging Her Campaign first appeared on Mediaite.

from Mediaite https://ift.tt/TxGdiX9

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments