. Stephanopoulos Kicks Off Tense Interview With GOP Lawmaker By Asking Blunt Question: ‘Do You Pledge Your Allegience to Donald Trump?’ - News Times

Stephanopoulos Kicks Off Tense Interview With GOP Lawmaker By Asking Blunt Question: ‘Do You Pledge Your Allegience to Donald Trump?’

By News Here - 12:07

ABC News’s George Stephanopoulos straight-up asked Rep. Mike Lawler (R-NY) Sunday if he pledged his allegiance to Donald Trump, just like the GOP midterm convention goers did last week.

The president led his pledge “to the greatest president in the history of the United States,” as thousands of people followed along at the convention meant to energize Republicans ahead of the midterm elections.

“Congressman, thanks for joining us this morning. Do you pledge your allegiance to Donald Trump?” Stephanopoulos asked.

“I pledge my allegiance to my constituents, which I always have,” Lawler answered. “It’s why I’ve been rated among the most bipartisan and effective members of Congress. I’ve been praised by presidents of both parties, including Joe Biden and Donald Trump, because I work to get things done. You know, my best friend in Congress is a Democrat, Josh Gottheimer, and we work tirelessly on issues that matter to our constituents and the American people.”

Stephanopoulos proceeded to ask Lawler if he supports the $5,000 dividend Trump promised to Americans if Republicans prevail in the midterm elections.

“If so, why haven’t Republicans already passed it?” Stephanopoulos asked.

“You know, George, I support putting money back in the pockets of hard working Americans, which is why we passed the single largest tax cut in American history,” Lawler said. “It’s why I fought to lift the cap on SALT from 10,000 to 40,000. Standing up to President Trump on that issue, delivering the largest tax cut for my constituents, putting more than $4,000 back in their pockets. So whether you talk about tax cuts, whether you talk about dividends —”

“But I asked you about the president’s $5,000 dividend,” Stephanopoulos interrupted. “Do you support that or not? It’s a yes or no question.”

“No, George, it’s not a yes or no!” Lawler shot back. “Here’s the answer. Whether you call it a tax cut, a stimulus, which is what the Biden administration did — and you said that was the greatest anti-poverty program since the New Deal, when Biden passed the stimulus check — so, obviously, you don’t have a problem when they’re handing money back to the American people through a stimulus check, or you call it a dividend. The question is, how do you pay for it? How do you be able to to pass the legislation to put more money back in the pockets of hardworking Americans? That’s the objective. We should all be wanting to do that.”

Watch the clip above via ABC News’s This Week With George Stephanopoulos.

The post Stephanopoulos Kicks Off Tense Interview With GOP Lawmaker By Asking Blunt Question: ‘Do You Pledge Your Allegience to Donald Trump?’ first appeared on Mediaite.



from Mediaite https://ift.tt/lUfszTB

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments