. Joe Biden and Kamala Harris Have Epic Clash After She Calls Him Out on Segregationists: ‘That is Not True!’ - News Times

Joe Biden and Kamala Harris Have Epic Clash After She Calls Him Out on Segregationists: ‘That is Not True!’

By News Here - 19:28

Kamala Harris and Joe Biden ended up going one-on-one on Thursday night when the senator challenged the ex-vice president’s record at NBC’s 2020 presidential debate.

When the debate reached the subject of race in America, Harris went after Biden over his recent comments where he called for bipartisanship by talking about how he was able to get work done in Congress while working with segregationists.

“I do not believe you are a racist, and I agree with you when you commit yourself to the importance of finding common ground,” Harris said. “But I also believe – and it is personal – it was actually very hurtful to hear you talk about the reputations of two United States senators who built their reputation and career on the segregation of race.”

After Harris took more shots at Biden over city bussing and his civil rights resume, the ex-veep eventually returned fire by calling it “a mischaracterization of my position across the board.”

“I did not praise racists, that is not true,” Biden said. “If we want to have this campaign litigated on who supports civil rights and whether I did or not, I’m happy to do that. I was a public defender. I didn’t become a prosecutor. I came out and left a good law firm to become a public defender when, in fact, my city was in flames because of the assassination of Dr. King.”

Biden continued to defend his record by citing his work with former president Barack Obama and arguing that the bussing grievances Harris cited were a city council matter. Harris continued to press him on this, asking “do you agree today that you were wrong to oppose bussing in America then?”

“I did not oppose bussing in America,” Biden responded. “What I opposed is bussing ordered by the Department of Education. That’s what I opposed.”

The two continued to collide on the matter until Biden acknowledged that his time was up and the conversation moved on. Later on in the evening, Harris’ Twitter account posted this message as a clear reference to the Biden exchange.

Watch above, via MSNBC.



from Mediaite https://ift.tt/2IT0x4A

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments