. Scoop Machine Tara Palmeri on How She Gets The Story (And Stays Sane) - News Times

Scoop Machine Tara Palmeri on How She Gets The Story (And Stays Sane)

By News Here - 12:08

In a new interview with Mediaite, hard-charging political journalist Tara Palmeri spoke about her career, getting the story, and how she avoids burnout on the craziest beat in the news business.

Palmeri is the senior political correspondent for Puck News, and also hosts The Ringer’s election podcast Somebody’s Gotta Win. In a wide-ranging interview on Mediaite’s Behind the Byline, Palmeri opened up about the pitfalls of the trade.

“That’s the thing about journalism, especially political journalism. It can be very dark. and that can be hard for you,” said Palmeri.

Palmeri said she doesn’t “play the access game,” and explained that breaking news that might upset news figures can actually result in bigger stories in the long run.

“I probably should think longer term, but I don’t think it’s actually the right way to play the game,” she said. “I think you just need to get the news out and tell people what they need to know, and let the chips fall where they may.”

“I really believe if it’s true and it’s accurate, more sources will come to you because they’ll see you as someone who is fearless and willing to tell the truth. And people are attracted to that,” she added. “People said, ‘I’m sure you pissed off this campaign’ or ‘They can’t be happy with you.’ And it’s like, yeah, but there’s five other people out there who just read my story who are now calling me, telling me, ‘You got it right. Let me tell you some more.’”

Palmeri, who served previously as a White House correspondent for ABC News and a co-author of Politico Playbook, has faced backlash in the past for, as she puts it, “merely reporting facts.”

During then-President Donald Trump’s first term, Palmeri angered then-press secretary Sean Spicer with her coverage of the White House. Spicer refused to give her a press badge – which Palmeri said forced her to find creative ways to cover the administration.

“I couldn’t get a press credential when Spicer was the press secretary,” she recalled. “So I just had to report from the outside, from the outer circle and get in.  I was breaking big stories, though it turns out you don’t need to be sitting in the briefing room every day asking questions in front of a camera and get everyone getting those stories, which I think are very important. But for me, I was actually adding more value on the outside and I think Spicer knew it and he just didn’t know how to control it. So he thought, I’ll punish her.”

She added: “There’s always been subtle ways that administrations have tried to pit journalists against each other or divide newsrooms, which are already very divisive. You’ve got journalists all fighting for the same scoops and the same stories, and they try to pit your colleagues against you or complain to your bosses or cut off your access.”

Palmeri acknowledged that covering politics, particularly in an election year, can be mentally draining. She said she’s found ways to cope with the stress of the job.

“There have been multiple times in my career where I’m like, do I really want to be doing this anymore? And I was just wondering what my purpose is? Is this really like what I am here to do?” she said. “It’s exhausting. You have to kind of put on your armor, go in there and do the hard stuff and then take it off.”

Palmeri said she has found meditation to be a helpful way to disconnect from the chaos of the news cycle. Despite the challenges, there’s nothing she would rather be doing.

“Nothing else comes to mind,” she said. “This is it.”

Watch above.

The post Scoop Machine Tara Palmeri on How She Gets The Story (And Stays Sane) first appeared on Mediaite.

from Mediaite https://ift.tt/wr7jVs3

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments